Saturday, August 2, 2014

Portrait of the Astronaut as a Young Girl

I did it!
I finished it!
(If you don't know what I'm talking about..)

Just as I imagined, it was completed at the very last minute - specifically, 3am the night before it had to go in the mail. I was working on a film all day, so actually my ever-so-helpful sweetheart partner David had to overnight the block for me. (Thanks David! <3)

I call it 'Portrait of the Astronaut as a Young Girl'
(9" finished)

My block for Karen Nyberg's Astronomical Quilts Block Challenge
I call it 'Portrait of the Astronaut as a Young Girl'
(9" finished)
The title is meant to be open to interpretation: perhaps it's our quilter/astronaut/heroine Karen Nyberg as a young girl (hence the light-colored hair), or perhaps this is the young stargazer who is destined to one day be the first human to set foot on Mars, or maybe it's all of us together, looking up at the great frontier.

Some details:





This block was all English Paper Pieced, and if my count is correct, there are 101 pieces.

It involved 17 different prints (2 skin-tones although you can't really tell), and something like 13 different colors of thread.

I have no idea how many hours it took, but I made it through more than one season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer during the process - that is, when I wasn't sewing on the subway. :)

Here's some pics from the process:

drafting the young astronaut and her star...

lines are all in!

this is the neck piece - easily the tiniest piece I've ever dared

tiny pieces, big mess

I called this section the Girl Zone - yes, I needed a big loan

sewing and Buffy - pretty much a perfect evening
(Dear Mallory and Erin, I usually have your art up on the wall, but both pieces fell recently,
and I'm working on a better hanging system - they live on my desk until then)

I took this picture at 3am when all of the pieces finally came together!
but I fell asleep before I could get the basting out

all the pieces out! all 101 of them
I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to participate in this project, and that I got this complicated block done on time! So many of my projects go unfinished, or end up taking years and years to complete. It could be just the magic of having a deadline that made this possible, or the fact that this is a bit smaller than most of my projects, but mostly I think that I was driven to make this block because I LOVE space exploration sooo much, and this felt like a small way to participate. I realize that I also sort of think of it as a thank-you letter to all the space explorers out there for doing what they do. I believe in my heart that space exploration will help drive human evolution toward a brighter future, and I can't wait to see what happens next!

Thanks for reading!
Big love!
-Reyna

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Your design is amazing and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Thank you for creating and sharing your block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I'm so happy I saw this post! We just got back from the quilt show and this was my absolute favorite block..even more than my own! I don't know if you made it to the show, but both of our blocks made it onto Karen's panel! There were 2,260 blocks submitted. They made up 28 quilts, with 5 albums of late arriving blocks. You can see my photos of the show (with photos of your block) here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152367610651176&set=a.10152367608141176.1073741877.697511175&type=3&theater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hellooooooo! I can't believe I never saw this comment! (I'm so bad at the internet.) Thank you so much for including a link to photos from the show! I am so sad that I didn't get to go. Soooo spectacular that they received so many blocks. I want to see them all! I was so thrilled when I saw that my block made it into Karen's panel. I jumped up and screamed and ran around the apartment, lol. Yours too! Thanks again for sharing, and I'm so sorry that it took me 6 years to reply! I hope you and yours are all healthy and doing well!

      Delete